Kili Weather



Kilimanjaro Factfile

At 19,340 feet, Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain in Africa and the only one of the seven summits (highest mountain on each continent) that is accessible without mountaineering equipment and experience.

It's the highest freestanding mountain in the world and one of the largest volcanoes, dormant rather than extinct.

On the summit, the lungs can only absorb half the amount of oxygen compared to sea-level.

The summit at Uhuru Peak is more than 1,600 feet higher than Everest base camp.

Estimates vary, but around 20,000 people attempt to climb Kilimanjaro each year. Almost half fail to reach the summit.

Thursday 15 February 2007

Buffs rule!

I am the original Scarf Woman. I wear them for most of the year; cotton bandanas for all but the hottest weeks of summer, changing over to silk whenever there's a chill in the air. I mostly remain faithful to silk throughout our mild wet winters with just the occasional flirtation with polar fleece during a cold snap. I wear them all the time; around the farm, going shopping or out for a night on the town. And now, I have discovered the Buff, a very overpriced tube of stretchy polyester which has turned my head with it's irresistible charms. I first saw them last November in London when I was drooling looking over all the expensive trekking kit I can't afford at Field & Trek.

Once I hit the Buff's homepage I was hooked. Seeing all the possible ways of wearing that flimsy bit of tubing, I just knew it would be perfect for my Kilimanjaro trip. Scarf, balaclava, hat, sunshade – it's so much more versatile than any silk square and even more comfortable, if that's possible. The vast selection of colours and designs means there's something to suit all tastes and there's even a fleecy option for the really cold weather. I did some more research (i.e. overtime for Google and Ebay) and discovered there are much cheaper alternatives available, although in disappointingly limited and rather dreary designs. The the Oxford Comfy comes in packs of three for less than the cost of one Buff. The cheapest original Buffs I could find via Google are at Sporting Trianglewhich just happens to be in Hereford where I had to go yesterday to buy tractor spares. So, I am now £10.99 poorer and the proud owner of one Indu Mango Buff, a tasteful little number with a vaguely oriental design in rusty red on a beige background. I've worn it all day today, except for my swimming session, and have to admit it's the most comfortable and practical neckwear I've ever worn. I suspect it will be almost worn out by the time I leave for Africa, although they are claimed to be just about indestructible. It's an indulgence at a time when I'm trying to eliminate frivolous spending, but it will get a lot of use. No, I'm not convinced, either, but I love it just the same.

No comments: